Sunday, May 4, 2014

Rotation feeding your pet: Something different on the menu

My husband and I were eating dinner one night when our daughter came home from work.  “Are you hungry?” I asked her.  She noticed that we were eating the same meal I had prepared the night before, a spicy Thai noodle dish that was one of her favorites, and said,   “Thanks, but I’m in the mood for something different.”  She heated up a veggie burger, piled on some avocados and tomatoes, and ate it with satisfaction. 

That encounter made me think about the variety of chow we feed our pets.  I can have the same meal for a few days in a row and be happy.  But what if I had to eat the same food over and over again, every day of my life?  In veterinary school, we were told that if dogs and cats like their food, they’re content to eat it in perpetuity. I never really bought into that theory. In fact, I’ve often wondered: Could foraging in the garbage and eating rabbit poop in the back yard just be a quest for culinary diversity?

My own dogs and cats have always been given a variety of food. And it turns out that what I’ve been doing all these years has become a hot idea with a trendy name. It’s called rotation feeding, and it’s thought to have several benefits.

Because no dog or cat food is perfect, periodically changing foods might provide a wider array of nutrients than sticking to a single diet.  Another consideration is contamination.  We’ve all read about foods being recalled for dangerous molds, bacteria or mysteryingredients that cause harm or even kill.  By changing brands, it’s possible that we can minimize exposure to those toxins.  Rotating foods might also help prevent food allergies from developing.

How you rotate a pet’s food depends on both the animal’s tolerance and your own creativity.   
Some owners regularly rotate among the various types of food: dry, canned, moist, dehydrated, fresh and frozen*.  The protein source can also be varied (lamb, beef, chicken, fish, etc.).  Some owners switch foods daily, some rotate weekly, and still others prefer to finish one bag of dry food before changing to another.  One challenge I’ve run into is maintaining product freshness, so I buy the smallest bags of dry food possible and don’t have more than a couple of months’ worth on hand at any time. 

It’s usually much easier to begin feeding this way when your pet is young, although it can be done at any age with patience.  Cats, in particular, often don’t adapt to wet foods if they haven’t been introduced to them very early in life.  Another interesting observation I’ve made is that once a dog or cat has been eating the same food for years, their digestive tract might be intolerant to change.  Avoiding GI upset is usually possible by introducing novel foods slowly.  Mix a small amount of the new food into the old food and increase the proportion of new food over a week (or whatever you find is best for your pet).  Don’t be discouraged if you try this and don’t succeed; some dogs and cats simply don’t tolerate menu changes at all.

I’ve heard criticism that a rotating bill of fare creates picky eaters.  In my experience, the opposite is true.  If a pet rejects a new food, it doesn’t mean the pet is picky; it simply means he or she isn’t crazy about the new offering.  Rotate among the foods you find your pet likes best to create an eager eater who looks forward to mealtime with excitement.  After all, isn’t gustatory pleasure a big part of the enjoyment of life? I admit I might be attributing human characteristics to my pets, but this brand of anthropomorphism makes me feel like I’m doing something nice for them — whether it’s necessary or not!


*Feeding raw food is discouraged based on documented cases of exposure of pets and humans to bacterial and viral contamination.