Sunday, June 7, 2015

My favorite client

The essence of veterinary medicine is pet care, but there’s another living being holding the leash or hauling in the carrier.  Pet owners can evoke a range of emotions in veterinarians, so there are days we have our favorites.  Only a delusional vet will deny that, though perhaps we don’t like to admit it. 
 
The person who recently won the dubious honor of “my favorite client of the day” earned my respect because she did everything right:
 
1. She lost her beloved miniature poodle this year.  Ajax was everything one would want in a mini: He was happy, fun-loving, affectionate, and smart, as well as being a handsome little rascal.  Like any loving pet family, she and her husband took his loss hard.  At first, getting another dog wasn’t on their agenda.  But they weighed the pros and cons of dog ownership, and finally the “ayes” triumphed. 

Thinking it through was a smart move on their part.  If you’re thinking, “Duh! Who wouldn’t?” my reply is, “Lots of folks.”  Ajax’s owners are at the age where their children have flown the nest, and retirement looms.  Being in that stage of life prompts important considerations:  What happens to our dog when we travel?  Will this dog be too big for me to handle when he gets old and arthritic?  Could my dog outlive me?  In fact, every life stage gives rise to questions worthy of scrutiny.


2. The next thing she did that impressed me was to find a good breeder and call me.  She had a health question about a prospective pup, and those of us in the trenches are best equipped to deal with such concerns.  I wish more people would consult veterinarians before they plop the puppy with a loud congenital heart murmur on the exam table, or bring in the rescue cat with a chronic snotty nose.   A simple phone call can save you tons of aggravation (and money) later on. 

This client had to pick a special pup that would do well around kids — lots and lots of kids.  That’s because she owns a summer day camp, and the family’s pet also becomes the camp mascot.  She didn’t pick a new puppy because it looked like her last dog, a disturbingly common error.  Instead, she diligently consulted with the breeder and picked the best puppy for the job.
 
3. I offered this owner a flash drive loaded with puppy training information, and she actually picked it up.  If my surprise seems cynical, it’s because my experience has been that clients follow only about 20% of our advice.  She’s a busy woman with her own business to run, yet she not only found the time to peruse the material I gave her but also went to the library and took books home.  Sometimes that can be a pitfall; getting training tips from too many people can be confusing.  Both her daughter and I encouraged her to pick one she clicked with and stick with his or her advice.
  
The health problem this owner had called about was of minor concern, so I soon met the fruit of her labor: a pint-size black miniature poodle.  Lulu has a sweet personality, lively dark button eyes, and a great home.  Thanks to her new owner’s due diligence, Lulu has it all!



No comments:

Post a Comment